World Health Organization (WHO) on Monday stated that a coronavirus booster is a way to keep the most helpless safe and not a luxury robbing people who have yet to have even a single jab.
Hans Kluge WHO Europe head seemed to be more optimistic than the UN health body’s past evaluations of the third inoculation being directed by a growing number of countries.
Whereas, WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus said data on the third shots was indecisive.
He had earlier stated that they should be stopped and authorities should focus on getting the doses to subordinate nations.
Kluge while addressing a press conference told that more studies were showing that third doses protect exposed people.
“The third dose of vaccine is not a luxury booster (that is) taken away from someone who is still waiting for a first jab. It’s basically a way to keep the most vulnerable safe,” he said.
Kluge said more indication was still required and advised European countries with extra vaccines to share them with other states, predominantly in Eastern Europe and Africa.
The increase in COVID-19 infection rates across Europe over the last two weeks, shared with low levels of inoculation in some countries, was “deeply worrying”, he added.
The Czech Republic said on Monday it would offer booster shots to anyone inoculated at least eight months earlier, joining a growing list of countries stepping up actions to control the spread of the coronavirus Delta variant.
Israel began proposing a COVID-19 booster to children as young as 12 on Sunday.